If you are new to ACSM, it would be a little complicate for you to convert ACSM to ePub for easy reading on different devices, it involves 2 steps: get the ePub file from the ACSM first, then remove the DRM from ePub for easy reading.
But no worries, you will find the detailed steps to convert ACSM to ePub with free or professional tools.
First Thing First, What is ACSM?
ACSM, the full name is Adobe Content Server Message, it is a XML-based file containing information that communicates with Adobe Content servers, it is something like a certificate or proof to inform Adobe that you have legally purchased an eBook and will be allowed to download the real eBook after authorization. This is useful and convenient when you need to read the eBook on different device within Adobe.
In conclusion, ACSM is not an eBook itself, it cannot be opened or managed by an eBook reader, you have to authorize via Adobe Digital Edition or use other tips to open and then get the ePub downloads. Also, the ePub downloads you get from ACSM files are DRM protected.
Step 1. Open or Export ACSM as ePub format
To open and export an ePub from the ACSM file, there are 2 ways, with or without Adobe Digital Editions.
Method #1 Convert ACSM to ePub with Adobe
Adobe Digital Editions is a free eReader to reader books across different devices, also it allows users to download and purchase digital content. After the purchase, you will get a ACSM file which allows you to download the ePub file later.
- Step 1. Download and install Adobe Digital Editions.
- Step 2. For first-time user, go to Help>Authorize Computer.
- Step 3. Input your Adobe ID for purchasing the eBook.
- Step 4. Then right click on the ACSM file and choose to open with Adobe Digital Editions.
- Step 5. You will notice that an ePub is being automatically downloaded.
- Step 6. Find the ePub file.
#For Windows users: My Documents/My Digital Editions
#For Mac users: Finder/Documents/Digital Editions
Step 2. Remove the DRM from ePub for Easy Reading
Even if you have converted the ACSM file to ePub, you won’t allowed to read or share easily these ePub files since they are DRM-protected. In this case, you will need to remove the DRM from your ePub file. Also, here we introduce 2 ways to decrypt the DRM ePub from your ACSM files.
Method 1. Use The Best eBook DRM Remover
Epubor Ultimate is a powerful tool to manage your eBooks, such as converting eBooks to different formats for all kinds of eReaders, modify meta data and remove DRM from eBooks for easy reading. It is easy to use and help detect device or eBooks for smart importing. Also, it is available for both Mac and Windows PC users.
Main Features of ePubor Ultimate
- Support converting eBooks in KFX, EPUB, PDF, AZW, AZW1, AZW3, AZW4, Mobi, PRC, TPZ, Topaz, TXT, and HTML;
- Convert eBooks to ePub, Mobi, AZW3, TXT and PDF;
- Batch and fast convert;
- Edit and modify metadata (title, author, identifiers, publishing date, language, publisher, introduction, book cover) ;
- Remove DRM from eBooks.
Steps to Remove DRM ePub from ACSM Files
- Download and install ePubor Ultimate on your mac or Windows PC;
- Run the program, it will detect all the ePub files you get from the ACSM and display in the left column.
- Drag and drop the DRM-protected ePub files to the right column for decryption. Done.
Method 2. Use Calibre (Free)
If you read eBooks very often, you should have heard about Calibre, a versatile and simple program to manage eBooks, it allows you to:
Organize and manage your eBooks collection;
- Read eBooks;
- Download online eBooks;
- Edit and modify metadata;
- Share and backup eBooks;
Calibre itself doesn’t build in the feature to remove DRM from ePub or other eBooks, but allows users to install a plugin to do so, here we recommend DeDRM plugin to remove DRM in Calibre.
Steps to Remove DRM ePub from ACSM Files
- Download and install Calibre on your Mac or Windows PC;
- Download and install DeDRM plugin
- Run Calibre, go to Preferences>Plugins;
- Click “Load plugin from file” and choose the DeDRM plugin you have downloaded onto your computer. Then click “Yes” to continue;
- Click “Add books” to import eBook files to Calibre;
- Once the eBooks are loaded into the program, the plugin will automatically remove DRM from ePub.
To convert ACSM to ePub on Mac or on Windows PC, there are 2 steps required, you have to open and export the ePub file from ACSM with Adobe Digital Editions first, then remove the DRM from ePub for reading or sharing on different devices. Each step require a professional and dedicated program to do the task. As long as we have picked the appropriate tool, we will be able to convert ACSM to ePub in an easy and effective way.
How to Convert AZW3 to PDF and Remove DRM (Free Online Included)
With the easy availability of eBooks on the websites today, we prefer to view books on Kindle device. While with [...]
Calibre DRM Removal: Tutorial and Alternative
Calibre is known as a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. You can use it to edit books’ metadata, [...]
Kindle DRM Removal 2020: How to Do It on Mac and PC
This article talks about how to do Kindle DRM removal on Mac and Windows. Kindle books purchased from Amazon are [...]
It seems Adobe Digital Edition is required to do the conversions, I prefer Adobe’s. Also, your trick to remove DRM from ebooks is practically useful to many of us.
Before reading this post, I have tried different ways to convert my ACSM file to ePub but failed. Thanks for sharing the steps.